Thursday, October 1, 2009

Involving the Kids

My favourite blog at the moment has to be Planning with Kids. Nicole is a Mum of 5, and has all types of systems and tips that help her in the day-to-day running of her house and family. In that vein, I'm trying to take a leaf and involve the kids more, and to give them a little more responsibility and autonomy in helping in the running of the household. By all means, they help get their PJ's out for after bath time, set the table or help take the rubbish out, but it's a bit hap-hazard, and I certainly get next to no cooperation when it comes to cleaning up toys!!

It's only early days, but firstly, also taking a leaf from Kylie's book (ahem, well, blog!), I have tidied up our crockery cupboard. In doing so, I've left a little room purely for the kids tableware - so they can get out their own plates for dinner, bowls for breakfast, dishes for morning tea, cups, and cutlery. I'll let you know how we get on, but on the first 'test' at afternoon tea time on Monday, and dinner on Wednesday, the kids were keen! I've also added their placemats standing up on the bottom right, and they can pull those out. I still need a little cutlery tray, and it's a bit more cluttered than I'd like, but it's working. The top shelf is our every day crockery, and down the rear of the bottom shelf are our spare set for when we have larger crowds (and yes, we run out of crockery!).




Secondly, I've set up a little spot in the pantry for the dog food, so my DS#1 (5) - now to be known as Lego Boy, can help to feed our dog. He loves having his own little jobs, and it makes him feel special. In this way, he can get the dog bowl out, can scoop out some dry dog food (from my wonderful new Tupperware Accessmate!), and get out a new can of dog food (if required). I can then supervise him scooping out some wet dog food into the bowl, and he can be responsible for taking it outside and feeding the dog. Likewise, we've discussed with him helping in picking up dog poo each week, if we can't always take our dog for a walk. He seems keen!


Lastly, the kids are helping to put away a few items of clothing after I've washed and folded them - even Buster (DS#2 - 2yo) can put away his own socks and singlets! It makes them feel useful and a part of the process. DD loves to 'help' with the pegs at the washing line and pairing socks, and Lego Boy can fold his own clothes.
I've realised that I'm doing a lot for the children that they are capable of doing themselves, I just haven't given them the opportunity and leeway to do it. I have to relinquish some of that control. They'll also be helping with keeping the household running smoothly with their new little jobs.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the blog love, your cupboards are looking awesome, i love planning with kids too.

    ReplyDelete