Occasionally, I need to reflect back as to why I decided to lose weight. Sure, there are a bunch of reasons. To like myself better. To be able to find clothes that fit AND look nice. Not to have to buy clothes just because they do fit. To have men look at me. To have my husband lust after me again. To make sure that I'm doing everything I can to live longer and see my children (and grand-children!) grow up.
But really, a lot of these are secondary to my main motivator. Which is simply to take care of me. I decided about 13 months ago that I should lose weight. Not that I wanted to, but that I should. So with a half-hearted effort, I ate a little better, and went on the treadmill three times a week for 15 minutes. It was only for a week or so. Then one day, I was setting up the treadmill, and there was a big spark, the power went out, and the treadmill no longer worked. "Fabulous, I've broken something ELSE," I thought.
Hubby looked at the treadmill when he got home, and thankfully was able to fix it. But it was a miracle I hadn't killed myself, as the power cord going into the treadmill had been frayed. There was a surge protector in the electricity box that had saved my life.
That's when it hit me - I didn't care. I should be THANKFUL that I was still alive. That I hadn't died (oh, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic!). But I didn't. I wished I had died. I felt so worthless and horrible about myself, that this piece of me thought it would have been better if I had died. Not grateful that I was OK.
So I mulled over it for a couple more weeks. I ate even MORE. At this point, it was a regular occurance at least two or more times a week to buy a box of Betty Crocker Triple Choc brownies, make them up, and eat the lot. If it wasn't that, it was something else. I'd eat while the kids were resting and I was on my own. It gave me comfort. It let me escape how isolated I felt. How I hated myself, and didn't even think that it was worth losing weight just so I could see my kids grow up. I wanted to be dead.
I approached my GP, with much trepidation, to raise the possibility that I might have depression. She gave me a sheet to read, boxes to tick, and told me to come back. I didn't. I probably should have. But then I thought about how a NORMAL person would feel in my situation - grateful to be alive and the opportunity to change their life.
And I decided then and there, to at least give losing weight a chance, before going back to the GP for a prescription or therapy. To give myself a chance. To put myself first. Sure, I have moments of feeling down, but the EURPHORIA of how fantastic I feel most of the time now, is just amazing. A way I never thought I could feel thirteen months ago, even twelve months ago, when I didn't even believe in myself. I have found, over the last year, the ability to believe in myself. That is priceless.
I decided to be selfish - and to put myself first for a year or two, to benefit my own emotional well-being, and ultimately my family. It was hard that after all this time, to think it was OK to put myself first. But I had to - happy Mum, happy home, right? I had to give it a shot. We were ALL miserable.
Putting myself first hasn't ended up being as selfish as I had first expected. So I would exercise while the kids slept - they didn't notice! I would wake up a little earlier, and walk in the morning. The family were all eating the same meals as I was. We got a little bonus from Kevin Rudd, and I spent that on bikes for hubby and I, and on 6 months membership at the gym, as I'd been regularly exercising for 3 months at that point, and felt I needed more.
Hubby would generally supervise the kids while I was walking in the morning (if they woke up early), and then when I went to the gym in the morning, or occasionally on the weekends. The entire family is involved with weekend bikeriding - we also bought a bike trailer, so Buster and DD can join hubby, Lego Boy and I for our rides.
And for the most part, I feel so incredible now, that I really wished I had been more "selfish" earlier. I have the most amazing amounts of energy now - I thought that was a myth, but it's true! I have moments of being purely exhausted when I've pushed myself too far, but I have so much more stamina than a year ago.
What I have achieved in the past year:
- I have lost 33.1kg (I lost 1.1kg this week, I was astounded!)
- I walk twice a week for an hour (sometimes more!)
- I go to the gym (Curves) for half an hour four times a week, mostly burning over 500 cals each time
- I bike ride for an hour or two at least once a month, if not more
- The kids are so much more active than they were
- My hubby has lost 8kg in the last year
- We only have takeaway once or twice a month (it used to be that amount each week!)
- I have so much more confidence
- I have an insatiable lust and enjoyment for exercise I didn't think I'd ever have
- I can't wait to try some new forms of exercise - kayaking especially
- I was a size 22 - now I'm a size 12-14
- I believe in myself
- I realise I am worth more than I thought I was
- I have found determination I never knew I had
- I have made my family proud
- Lego Boy won't have a fat Mum when he starts school next year (this was another great motivator)
- I haven't broken a chair in the last year
- My husband doesn't just love me, I have discovered how much he believes in me, and he now lusts after me like a teenager
- I have lost 172cm all over my body - I have lost over my height all over the width of my body!
And finally, here is a picture comparison of my journey.
1 - 106.7kg, the day I joined WW
2 - 74.7kg, size 12 denim shorts
3- 74.7kg, size 10 Jeans West dress
4 - 74.7kg, size 12 dress
And for today, I weighed in and lost 1.1kg this week. I walked for 50 minutes this morning despite the gusty winds!



WOW! You inspire me Kat.
ReplyDelete...I saw a friend of mine yesterday while out shopping with the kids and she asked me "are you pregnant again?"
Youch!
Methinks I need to kick me arse into gear and start exercising again!
What an beautiful, moving, inspiring post! You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Katy. You have come such a long way and done so well!!
ReplyDeleteI am into week 2 of WW's and i need this. Thank you for your beautiful story ! xxx
ReplyDeleteKaty, not only did your post reduce me to tears but you made me realise that I too can do this. It is a never ending journey but one more enjoyable when, like you, you are on the positive side of the path.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey.....
Katy! You're amazing! I feel so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteI can relate to so many of your thoughts about how you felt about yourself - I still feel like that sometimes but I'm trying really hard to love myself all of the time, not just sometimes.
What an inspiration you are! Good on your for believing in yourself and making it happen! It's improved so many areas of your life..
Wow, I'm just in awe! Congratulations!
*hugs* x
And SO you SHOULD be bloody proud of yourself Katy! You are MY inspiration too! (As I continue to tell you). Well done babe. Fabulous! YOU LOOK FABULOUS!
ReplyDeleteYou have such a long way in that year. Hats off to you - you are my inspiration!!
ReplyDeleteOk that should read "you have come such a long way!"..
ReplyDeleteKaty, you make me wanna cry. You are an amazing woman! The greatest achievement you can ever make is to believe in yourself. The impact of that on yourself, your husband, your kids and all those who have the pleasure of knowing you is beyond anything that any of us can fully understand. Keep this post forever, it's a gem.
ReplyDelete