Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Favourites - Focaccia


I tried this recipe from Recipezaar, with great success. I know I've posted it before, but it is really popular in this house, and easy. It's a lovely accompaniment to a meal, and isn't too time consuming, except for the process of letting the bread rise before cooking. While I wait for it to rise the first time, I can take the washing off the line. And for the second rise before baking, I bath the kids. Very time efficient, really. I used to be so worried about using yeast, I would never bake with it. I don't know what I was so scared about!

The recipe says it serves 4, but I cut it into 8 pieces, and each piece is 2 points on my Weight Watchers plan, which fits in pretty easily with my daily points. I served this last week with the Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni, and agian with the Bacon and Pumpkin Pesto Pasta. Excuse the uneven browning, my oven is officially crap!

Focaccia

Ingredients

7g package yeast
1 cup water (I've found 42 degree temperature perfect!)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1.5 cups plain flour
sea salt
any other flavourings (dried rosemary is fabulous, but I use dried basil for most tomato-based dishes, also dried garlic or onion works well)


Method
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and sugar. Add any other flavourings.
2. Stir in the flour a little at a time. When you can't stir it easily, turn it onto a floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Place dough in an oiled bowl and let it rise until doubled in size, around 30-40 minutes.
4. Shape the dough into a round around 1.5 cm thick.
5. Make some decorative cuts in the top with a sharp knife - I just cut 8 lines to indicate portion sizes. Place the loaf on an oiled baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and spinkle with sea salt. Let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Bake in a 230 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until nicely browned. Serve warm.

1 comment: