Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Favourites - Scones


Scones!! I love them, but don't make them too often. The recipe I use is from Taste, but I've modified it a little. I make them with smaller scone cutters, and also tend to make half a batch (about 12-ish), otherwise I'll eat too much! I think they're 1 point each for a small one, probably about 2 for the larger one.

The best thing is that by the time the oven has finished heating up, I've finished prepping them for the oven. I've included the recipe for the entire batch, with my additions.

Makes 16

plain flour, for dusting
3 cups self-raising flour
1tsp bicarb soda
80g butter, cubed
2 tsp sugar
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with plain flour. Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl.
2. Using your fingertip, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in bicarb and sugar.
3. Make a well in the centre. Add 1 cup of milk. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more milk if required. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth (don't knead dough too much or scones will be tough).
3. Pat dough into a 2cm-thick round. Using a 5cm (diameter) round cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Press dough together and cut out remaining 4 rounds. Place scones onto prepared baking tray, 1cm apart. Sprinkle tops with a little plain flour. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and well risen. Transfer to a wire rack.
4. Serve warm with jam and cream

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katy!

    Thanks for your comment... I am so pleased with my results! Next week is going to be tough as I am going to get stuck into my exercise and get that body pumping! hehe

    I use Taste for most of my recipes... I will try your scone recipe as I tried to use a cookbook recipe and the scone ended up like missiles! hehe It looks so tasty!

    Talk soon!

    Lizzie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I have to share my scone making tip with you. It makes life so much easier!

    Use a food processor to rub in the butter. Makes it really quick and your fingers don't get gooey. When you add the liquid you can either continue using the food processor or use the conventional knife method.

    I think the scones come out perfectly well if you use the food processor from start to finish. I was worried that the scones would be tough or chewy, but mine come out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're most welcome Lizzie!

    Ohh awesome Fi!! I'll have to give that a whirl (ha!). Rubbing in the butter is the worst bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them too! Lovely hot, fresh out of the oven

    ReplyDelete