
This dish is a favourite in our house, and is relatively quick and certainly simple to put together. I use extra pumpkin, so that I have 1kg of chopped pumpkin, as opposed to 1kg and THEN removing the seeds and skin. I also up the pasta to 500g (a whole packet that way, no odds and sods leftover) and increase the pesto to a whole jar, or homemade (even better, yum!).
I have used my homemade pesto with this before, but often just use a jar for convenience. Don't put salt in your boiling water for the pasta, I find the bacon is plenty!
The children absolutely love this dish, and always ask for seconds. So I can try and get some leftovers for hubby, I often serve with herb bread and/or salad.
Bacon & Pumpkin Pesto Pasta
Serves 4
Serves 4
1kg kent pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into 2.5cm pieces
Olive oil spray
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
500g dried penne pasta
300g short-cut bacon, thinly sliced
200g (2/3 cup) basil pesto
Shaved parmesan, to serve
Olive oil spray
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
500g dried penne pasta
300g short-cut bacon, thinly sliced
200g (2/3 cup) basil pesto
Shaved parmesan, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pumpkin, in a single layer, on the prepared tray. Spray with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
3. Cook the bacon in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden.
4. Add the pesto to the pasta and toss until coated. Add the pumpkin and bacon and toss until well combined. Divide among serving bowls and sprinkle with parmesan. Serve immediately.



Yum, I'm going to have to try this!
ReplyDeletelook delish, thanks for the idea
ReplyDelete