Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Discovering the Children's non-fiction section of the library


Last week, I took the children for our regular fortnightly visit to the library. We've only ever really dappled in the childrens fiction and DVD's, however I had a brainwave - didn't I use to do research when I was a child for assignments?? And not in the adult section! And so, I remembered that there is a small Children's non-fiction section to our local library.

From this, I've decided that each library visit, we'll "discover" something new each fortnight. If possible, combining a book with a non-fiction DVD, so Lego Boy can watch some of this during his rest time. This fortnight we chose Butterflies. We were lucky enough to borrow a simple book on the life-cycle of butterflies, as well as a "discover" dvd on butterflies. We'll then do some colouring in and drawings on the subject.

And so, Lego Boy (5) now knows the basic life-cycle of a butterfly. All these things I would take for granted, I've realised he will have to learn at some point! And he LOVES learning and knowing little facts (like that a butterfly lives for 4 weeks).

On Tuesday evening, we also had a small hail-storm. And so came along the question "where does hail come from?" And so I discovered Geography for Kids, which gave me an easy, simplified definition of hail to explain to Lego Boy. I'd love to know any resources you may have on the Internet for children's research and explanations!
PS - I did exercise this morning! A good 1 hour walk.

2 comments:

  1. As a librarian who spent a lot of her degree studying children's books, I think this is lovely. Also, if you have a 5 year old boy I can tell you (both as a mother of a 12 year old boy and someone in the biz) that when he gets to about 8 he will probably start to lose interest in reading - this is when NF can really help.

    For boys, non fiction isn't just sitting down reading a story, it is a discovery. Books about revolting things (revolting science; horrible history) can get a non-reading boy back into reading without him realising it; children's recipe books and art activity books are also good because they have to read instructions - a reluctant reader is reading and he doesn't know it. The guiness book of records is always a winner!

    Sorry to go on, yours are obviously not reluctant readers but you are on the right track to combating it if it happens. The best way to keep your kids interested in reading is to make it a family activity - something you are obviously doing already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how great for your kids - I wished my parents took the time to do things like this with me when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete