Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bulk Meat Shop

Over the weekend, hubby and I finally got around to doing our bulk meat shop. The freezer was bare and we had not a thing left in it! We have to find a time to do this shop when we have a couple of hours free to them cut up and package the meat, for convenient thawing and cooking.

We like to package our meat in 480-500g packs, which at the moment, is generally enough to serve the two adults and 3 children in the house, with one meal leftover for hubby's lunch the next day.

This month we scored some chicken breast fillets for $7.99 which was a good price! We also buy the beef ($6.49/kg for rump) and mince the beef ourselves in our Kitchen Aid. We tend to cube the beef, and I mince it as I need it. I love doing this, because I know there is next to no fat in the beef, as opposed to butchers meat, which always has a bit of fat in it (and hubby would know, he spent many hours with his Dad - a butcher - in the shop).

For our $225 this month we have enough for the following meals
15 x diced beef
2 meals from 1 large chicken
1 package schnitzeled veal
2 x 250g diced beef (perfect to mince for pizza toppings)
1 package chicken chops
1 package lamb leg steaks
1 package rissoles (not fabulous, but great for a quick meal)
6 x bacon
3 meals of steak to BBQ
3 x diced lamb (ideas please!!)
2 x diced chicken
7 x filleted chicken
1 x 250g chicken (also perfect to mince for pizza toppings)

That's enough for 45 meals or $5 per meal, or an average of 85c per person per meal (given that we have leftovers). Also had enough off cuts for a week to feed our dog.

I'm stoked with that! Along with the fact that we tend to have 1 vegetarian + 1 fish meal a week, this meat should easily last us 10-12 weeks. Our last bulk meat shop was on 27th July, and lasted us 10 weeks. This time I only spent an extra $13 and got an extra 8 meals, and even includes some expensive meat cuts!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, great shopping! You will have to send me a PM to let me know where you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish that I was half as organised as you are. Fantastic shopping and very economical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - I'm lucky if I can plan more than 3 days in advance!! You are super organised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great going! Your hubby obviously doesn't need a "slab" of meat like mine does! I package in approx 400g lots - about 100g for me & Billy, and 200g for DH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kez - it has taken time to reduce his portions, so it's taken a while to change his expectations. Plus I bulk out everything with vegies to still make whatever we're having "bigger".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted a kitchen aid, now think of all the things I could make with a mincer attachment!!

    I want to make my own mince. I always wonder what the heck is in there.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete