Monday, July 27, 2009

Bulk Meat Shop

Last week I did a bulk meat shop. From the previous shop in May, we still had 1 packet of chicken left, 1 packet of chicken chops, and a few packets of steak.

This shop, I spent $212. With the new Kitchen Aid (to be referred to here-on-in as KA), and the mincing attachment we bought, we'll be mincing our own beef, so I've just cubed everything, and I'll mince it fresh.

In surplus to what little we had left, for our stash we got -
16 meals of cubed rump beef (@ around $7.99/kg - I got some cheaper grade for mince, and a little more expensive for everything else)
9 meals of chicken breast (@ $7.99/kg)
2 meals leg of lamb
1 meal chicken chops
1 meal rissoles
1 meal veal
1 meal lamb steaks
3 meals minute steaks (steak sandwiches or similar)
3 meals bacon

Total 37 meals (+ 5 in the freezer) @ $5.73 average each to feed the 5 of us.

As per last shop, this will last us a fortnight, when I take into account fortnightly visits to Mum's, and our fish and vegetarian meals.

I also got 2 weeks worth of meals for our little dog that I made up - 1 week of chicken and 1 week of beef.

4 comments:

  1. I like buying meat in bulk, cheaper and handy to not have to go the shops as often (I always buy extra when I’m there!). I’d love to hear what you think of the KA mincer attachment, including how hard/easy it is to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it work out cheaper to mince your own meat? How much is your mince if you bought it pre-made?

    So this lasts you say 6-8 weeks or more?

    Just curious - our monthly meat bill including bacon, dog bones is about $150 - but I'm guessing yours lasts longer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gab - I haven't used it for mincing meat yet (will do later in the week when I've done our meal planning), but I used it for breadcrumbs and to make pesto with last night. Will pop on a post about it a bit later in the week, and will pull it apart and show you a picture of all the 'bits'. I found it really easy to pull apart and clean it, and also to get the last 'bits' out of the grinder. You do need to make sure everything is really dry before putting it together again to store it - not just a wipe up but an air dry over night.

    Liss - it might not be QUITE as cheap as buying mince (eg I can buy 'premium' mince from my butcher for $6.99/kg), but it's healthier, because it has no added nasties, plus I *know* there is no extra fat on it. I can buy the bulk rump for $6.99/kg, and by the time you chop off a bit of fat, you'd be looking at probably $7.50/kg.

    I don't like the really cheap mince, plus I have to strain it with boiled water to get the extra fat off to make it lower in fat, which meals less 'volume' to my meal.

    Our last bulk shop (I think I posted at the end of May) lasted us until now, so a good 2 months. This big shop will also last us a good 2 months, though I'll have to buy fresh fish as we go, which adds maybe $6 a week. It has to last until after 15th September (payday) and then some, if I can swing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete