Friday, July 24, 2009

Top Tips Thursday #4 - in the kitchen

A short and sweet (albeit late!) tips this week.

I save a few dollars in the kitchen by making my own stock and evaporated milk. They're two ingredients I use on a regular basis, and cost next to nothing to make. I tend to still use powders where I don't need the entire liquid, but just the richness of the flavouring.

Stock
To make your own stock, put leftover bones from a roast (usually chicken or beef bones) into a large saucepan and cover with water.
Add a good dash of cracked pepper, bay leaf, and some leftover diced vegies. I like to use onion, carrot and celery (if I have any).
Bring to the boil, and simmer on low for a couple of hours. Skim off any froth as you go.
Strain the stock, bin the bones and vegies.
Refrigerate stock, and lift out any fat that comes to the surface.
You can then store in in 1 cup quantities (or in ice-cube trays) in the freezer, or in the fridge for a week.

Evaporated milk
I got this tip from Simple Savings, and it's one I've been saving a fortune with for the better part of this year! Add 2/3 cup of skim milk powder (or full cream if you're that way inclined) to 1 cup of water. Simple as that. With a tin of evaporated milk costing around $2.50 (less on special), I use a tin every week or two, so I'm saving around $80 a year alone with this tip.

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Karan and I am also on weight watchers which is how I found your blog just by googling weight watchers. I really enjoy reading it as I am also into simple savings etc. Thanks for the tip on the milk. This is something I use all the time and the price really irks me. Especially as I only generally use a small amount and have to divide the rest up to freeze. Love it! Do you have any tips on creating the coconut flavoured one as I often use this in curries and soups?
    Cheers Karan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karan, Thank you so much for your comment! I haven't tried to make a coconut flavoured one, but I've bought some coconut essence in anticipation, and will try adding a teaspoon or two to the mixture and go from there.

    Save a fortune!

    ReplyDelete