I've read a very effective paragraph at "Whitey Made me Fat".
Goals shouldn't be too big or too little. In time management and project
management, there is a question used to illustrate when a goal is too big. The
question is "how do you eat an elephant?" The correct answer, of course, is one
forkful at a time. The inclination in goal setting, not just with weight loss,
but with many things, is to "go for the gusto". Pick a big goal {break it down} and just go for
it. Fables are filled with stories to illustrate great goals. Famous quotes
abound.

I was so overwhelmed when I was wanting to start my weight loss journey. So much so, that I put if off for MONTHS. Probably years, really. But I decided to take things a day at a time, a week at a time. And look what I've achieved?
This week, I lost 900g. Putting my total weight loss at 25.6kg. 9 months ago, I didn't ever think I would have achieved such a fabulous loss. In fact, I was going to be happy with a 5 or 10kg loss, because it was an improvement on what I was. But just by taking things a step at a time (exercise!), a mouthful at a time (food!) and writing things down day by day (journal) have all helped me achieve such a great loss. I'm almost in the 70's. Getting so close!! And just 12kg from goal, and 10kg to the top of my range.
Making small changes to my exercise - initially just being more active, then walking for 20 minutes a day, and moving up from there, has certainly boosted my weight loss, and is gradually making me fitter.
Today I had an early lunch with Edna today, and her friend Roma, with the children. She should be moving shortly, as her furniture has all been moved to her new unit, her disabled daughter now has a special home, and she's all set. I'll certainly miss her - it has been 18 months of bumping into her every Wednesday. I wrote her a little note last week with my phone number and address, thanking her for her chats each week, and how much they meant to us. She was very kind and had bought the children a book each, some little lollies, and these gorgeous Bambi figurines, especially for Alannah, that she has been in possession of since she was 16 herself - so a good 60 years. I was lost for words, that such a kind stranger has taken the time every week to have a chat, enquire about the children, and talk to them. Seeing Edna has certainly been something I look forward to every week.
Today's Exercise - gym - 30 minutes, 546 calories (2290kj).



Congratulations on your amazing loss! I have about 8kg to lose in total (I started in earnest today) and it always seems so 'big' until you tackle it head-on.
ReplyDeleteThat is a fabulous weight loss! Well done!!!
ReplyDelete