Monday, October 12, 2009

Roasted Pumpkin & Pinenut salad

I made this Roasted Pumpkin and Pinenut salad up over the weekend for my sisters birthday, and it was truly delicious! I'm sure there are a million variations out there, but I just threw this together. It is extremely simple, and I think it's a nice change from a traditional garden salad.



Roasted Pumpkin & Pinenut salad
Serves 6 as a side, 2 points per serve

150g baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
1/2 bunch chives, chopped finely
600g of peeled pumpkin, diced (maybe 1-2cm cubes) - so you'd need about 900g pumpkin. I used butternut, but jap would also work well
90g Pinenuts
fat free balsamic dressing

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Spray a baking tray with cooking spray, and lay out cubed pumpkin. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes until tender.
3. Remove baking tray, and sprinkle over pinenuts. Return to oven, and bake a further 5 minutes until pinenuts are golden brown.
4. Mix together spinach leaves and chives. Top with roasted pumpkin and pinenuts, then sprinkle with balsamic dressing (about 1-2 tablespoons). Serve.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, looking forward to summer! Aren't pine-nuts just a sweet indulgence in a salad? Yum.
    My variation is roasting the pumpkin with some diluted honey, and some more honey with white wine vinegar as the dressing.. I also use rocket and thinly sliced red onion. Do you think the honey would add a lot of points?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo sounds nice I love pumpkin and pinenuts in a salad might add this to menu for the weekend

    ReplyDelete