This week, I am starting what I call a "windfall fund". I have a spare ING Savings account that has been going largely unused, as we put any cash we might have into our mortgage. The purpose of this account, is for me to put any little, ordinary, everyday savings that come my way, into this account. Now, I don't mean the big things, like tax cheques, bonus' or Rudd money.
I mean the little things I've managed to save money on. For example, my Mum gave me a small packet of Weetbix last night, that she didn't want to go stale. It's just a small packet, but it would save me about $1 (it's about 1/3 of an Aldi packet of Weetbix). So I'll transfer that $1 into the windfall account. Likewise, she gave me a virtually full packet of wipes she kept at her house "just in case", and they were starting to dry out. That's $3 to the account.
This week, I've just been sent a sample of Snugglers nappies from Soup for a trial they're doing. That's 30 free nappies, just for trying them out! Given that I'm using cloth for the most part during the day, these will last me a good 2 weeks on the trial, and will save me buying a new packet to top me up in another week or so. I'll put that as a $10 windfall.
That's 3 small things, over the last week, that have saved me $14. If that's what I have easily over a week, that could add up to $700 over the year that I wouldn't even miss, as they are things I would have otherwise have paid for.
I also get paid a small amount of money for market research, and I'll put that money in there. Also I like to save the odd bit of change from my wallet into a jar, and any of that I'll bank and put in the "windfall" fund.
At this point, I'm not sure what I'd like to do with the windfall fund. Most likely, once I hit the $100 mark, I'll just make deposits into the mortgage. But secretly, I'd like to put it towards my eternity ring, or perhaps even a few days away over summer.
I'm planning on updating every now and again with how my total is going, so stay tuned!
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What a fantastic idea Katy! I signed up for that Soup trial but I didn't get accepted lol.
ReplyDeleteI heart your blog! And well done on the weight loss achievement at your most recent weigh and measure at Curves! Congratulations!
hey katy, i did that 18months ago and it paid for a 3day weekend away with 3 other couples (no kids)!!! it paid for petrol, accom, grog, food for Phil and I and it was FANTASTIC!!!! organising the kids is another story but the weekend away was a soul soother!!! every little coin helps, keep it up :)
ReplyDeleteHi hun. I have tagged you over at http://lucyinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/2009/06/meme-ories.html You dont need to do it but just thought id tell you. :)
ReplyDeleteKaty that is a wonderful idea and so much less tempting to spend if you don't have the actual cash sitting around!
ReplyDeleteAs for what to do with it, I think you should keep it either to fund new clothes or for a few days away, definitely not on the mortgage, this is something you should enjoy :)
could you please share the recipe for your carrot cake you mentioned you were baking this week? I need more healthy cake recipes for the kids ....... thanks katy xx
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tag Lucy, I'll get on it today :)
ReplyDeleteAmanda - will do!!!
And thanks for the encouragement for the windfall account. I'm excited!!
That's a pretty cool idea! I'm going to try this too, I think.
ReplyDelete