Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday - $30 challenge update

I thought today was going to be a tough day, challenge wise. However, I sold a hall table/coffee table/lamp table on eBay for my folks and the buyer is coming to pick it up at 10am today - prime shopping time!

So today will be a home day, and again I'll make do with what is in the cupboards. I wouldn't mind some fish for dinner, but I'm not going to buy any, I have a perfectly good big $2 can sitting in the cupboard which can be made into tuna patties with the assistance of an egg and some mashed potato. Even if I didn't have the tuna in the cupboard, $2 isn't a huge amount to spend for dinner for 5.

Since I'm not going out, I'm not buying cheese or bread until tomorrow, when I'll also need to buy a few things for the weekend.

The kids are just about out of fruit, but I do have two sad bananas in the fruit bowl and a couple of apples, which will go further if I make them into pikelets for the kids - it'll give the three of them morning or afternoon tea for 2 or 3 days.

I have to say, we just recently changed our homeloan and they decided to take the payment out on the 1st of the month. We just had a payment taken out on the 17th of May, so it's a double hit. The stupid thing is, we only got the letter on the 3rd to tell us the new dates! Thanks a lot. So two lots of dishonour fees totally $85 (as we try and keep any 'spare' cash in the mortgage), which I'm fighting to get back.

It is totally killing me not dropping into the supermarket just to grab something here or there!! It has been such a habit, and it's one I'm much more aware of now that I'm doing this challenge. I've always been good at entering our expenditure into our budgeting spreadsheet - every receipt and docket, every internet transaction - but having to be accountable this way, and actually verbalising it and summarising it daily is just making me that more aware.

Just cutting the cost of my groceries - even albeit it temporarily - to $30 for this week, is an instant saving of at least $120 for this week, just for a little creativeness and time.

The rain has been hanging around for the past two weeks, and it's official - I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!! My undercover 'backup line' isn't coping because it's so damp and nothing is drying. I'm having to resort to the dryer which I absolutely detest using, the beds are desperate to have their sheets changed and towels. I can't keep on top of it!


Today's Savings:

  • Making pikelets from leftover fruit instead of buying more fresh fruit - $4.
  • Using tuna in the cupboard to make tuna patties, rather than buying fresh fish - $6.

Today's Expenditure:

  • $0.

Total spend this week - $6.80.

Total savings - $47.20.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Katy, you and I are so on the same wavelength at the moment its scary!!!!! your $30 challenge blogs sound like my conversation in my head! do you have a link to your original post explaining your challenge? if not what it is etc. etc. thanks Amanda:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    So funny, but fantastic to find someone along the same wavelength! This week is my first one, and is explained (very losely!) here http://beekaty.blogspot.com/2009/06/this-weeks-30-challenge.html

    We only get paid monthly, and it's been a heavy month, so to try and make the money stretch the remaining fortnight, I worked out what I had to spend, and split it up. I just picked a number! But it's going to be a rough day tomorrow as there is a fair bit that I need for the weekend.

    Know any cheap (pantry basic) desserts?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy, basic pantry desserts my 3 kids love are rice pudding (1 to 6 ratio of white rice and milk, sugar, splash vanilla - baked 180 covered for around 1 hour - time varies) might need to add more milk. Hot custard (made from custard powder and stewed green apples). my kids go through around 10 litres of milk per week so I dilute it. i get 3 litre bottles and when its 1/3 down i fill up with tap water. they don't even know! it sounds scabby but it gives me a free 3 litre bottle per week. they go through so much they are still getting the calcium. i'll let you know if i think of more, cheers Amanda

    ReplyDelete