Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday - $30 challenge update

Last night I was making cheesy mustard lamb steaks for dinner. A very yummy, and very quick Weight Watchers meal that I got from years back. However, hubby had finished off the wholegrain mustard, which was required for my recipe. In his usual style he forgot to either a) put it on the shopping list or b) to tell me so *I* could put it on the shopping list.

Obviously I just can't justify going out and blowing 10% of my budget this week on mustard (where I'd only use a couple of tablespoons of it!), so I substituted with some leftover honey, mustard and herb marinade I had left in the fridge. Otherwise I would have substituted with some red pesto for something different (cheesy red pesto lamb steaks!).

Today's Savings:
  • Not buying additional mustard and substituting with what I had - saving $3.50.

Today's Expenditure:

  • This afteroon I bought milk for breakfast tomorrow, 3 litres full cream for the kids, and 3 litres light for us - $6.80.

Total spend this week - $6.80.

Total savings - $20.20.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, i'm just new to your website and haven't looked around it yet but it looks FABULOUS! I am so into budgeting but haven't found any Aussie mums who are as strict as me or probably you so i cant wait to get some tips! look forward to reading your blog, cheers, Amanda (are you on twitter?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a machine Katy, I am very impressed and inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda! I'm trying to change the focus of my blog a bit, because as you said, it's hard to find other Australian Mums trying to keep costs down and actually try and stick to a budget.

    Not on twitter yet though - just trying to keep ahead on this!! Look forward to reading your archives too, as I only just found your blog.

    Thanks Krys!!!

    ReplyDelete