Saturday, June 13, 2009

30 before 30 - update

I thought it was about time I updated my "30 before 30" list. I've made a few inroads, but I still have a lot to achieve in the next 4 months!

1. Read 12 books.
I am on my way. I've read about 6, but I'm fuzzy on details at the moment.

2. Get myself properly fitted for some new bra's (and even buy a pair of matching undies!).
Done! I did this at Christmas-time with the end of year sales. Sad news (or maybe not so sad!) is that I'll have to do it again in a couple of months because I've shrunk a fair bit in the past 6 months (around 15kg since I was last fitted).

3. Write in my journal, at least weekly.
I've been writing in my blog, which I've transferred from my journal. Probably not writing as emotionally as I would normally do.

4. Lose 30kg.
Well on my way. 23.3kg gone! 6.7kg to go before my birthday (if not 14kg!).

5. Try a new recipe every fortnight, and fit in one vegetarian and/or fish meal each week.
I've been a bit lax on the new recipes, mainly because I've been creating my meal plan in a hurry! But I'm stil sticking to the one fish or vegetarian meal each week.

6. Increase my exercise, so that I am doing some form of exercise 3 times a week.
Done, done, DONE! I go to the gym 3 times a week, if not 4. And I walk twice a week, if not more.

7. Organise a Naming Day for DD and DS#2.
Done - back in November!

8. Sell or give away my “big” clothes and buy smaller clothes second hand.
I have given away some, and while I've cleaned out my wardrobe of 'big' clothes, the majority are still waiting to have something done with them.

9. Make time to give myself a facial weekly.
Probably sticking to fortnightly, which isn't too bad in the scheme of things.

10. Eat a piece of fruit daily.
I usually manage a bit of something, albeit a small apple or pineapple on a melt. But I'm not a good fruit eater, I don't know if that habit will change!

11. Bake weekly.
Tick! I usually always manage to bake something - pikelets, apple & cinnamon scrolls, banana cake are our main staples, and I'm making a slice this week.

12. Maintain our budget on a weekly basis, and keep within our budget each month
Surprisingly, going well here. It helps that hubby and I sit down after pay-day (monthly) and talk through what we spent the previous month, how we can improve it, and what we have planned for the next month. The best thing is (well, not FABULOUS, but...), that we just got our bill for our building insurance and car insurance, and I have the money available in our bill account (with some to spare!). BIG BIG BIG improvement on last year, when I was juggling everything on our credit card. Of course, we do go over occasionally, but usually make up for it by being short in others.

13. Fix our home loan.
Done. We stayed with our bank, managed to get a small discount too, by showing we were serious about moving elsewhere. So we've locked in for 3 years: 2/3 of our loan into fixed (6.64%) and 1/3 into variable. This is so we can pay any bonus' or tax cheques into the mortgage without penalty. We are allowed to pay $10k into the fixed loan each year, without redraw. So my target is to be able to pay that $10k at the anniversary of each year into the fixed loan.

14. Do something more active with the kids each week - the park, craft, painting, a walk, bike ride, going to the library.
Definitely doing well here, but not quite ready to tick it off yet.

15. Catch up with my folks fortnightly.
We have a regular Wednesday-fornightly catch up. The kids are loving it, they are so comfortable with my parents now, my sister comes along too, and it's just something we do. I think my folks appreciate it, and it means none of us have to take a whole day out of our (or their) precious weekend time.

16. Finish framing the kids “going home” outfits.
I have one done. But I have no idea where to find letters so I can put their names on them!

17. Download our photos monthly and categorise on the computer.
I have been doing this in the hope that it would help with 18.

18. Begin a photo album for each child and get it up-to-date.
Slack. I have the albums, but I haven't gone through and picked photos out to start them yet. Mainly because my only time is on an evening, and often my hubby is either on the computer with the pictures on them, or we're spending time together.

19. Frame and hang another wedding photo.
Aim is to have this done for our anniversary in October.

20. Clean out the toy cupboard and label the toy boxes.
Toy cupboard and boxes have been cleaned out, with help from hubby. Labels are still pending.

21. Go and see a show with hubby.
Done! We went and saw Buddy Holly at the Lyric Theatre at Star City, stayed in the city for the night, had a fancy dinner. Loved it!

22. Revise our home and contents insurance for June 2009 so we are not under-insured, and shop around for the best price.
Just waiting for our contents policy renewal. Half way through our contents list.

23. Borrow more books from the library, rather than buying them.
I haven't bought a book in months! I look them up online on the council catalogue, if they don't have it, I don't read it.

24. Appreciate my husband more.
I'm being more affectionate with him, and just telling him how much I appreciate each and every little thing he does. He reciprocates, so it's definitely worth the investment. Definitely more in love now than we were when we met 11 years ago!

25. Start a "movie night" up with the kids once a month where we set up the projector and big screen and watch disney movies and eat popcorn.
Not the popcorn, because usually we're too full from dinner. But the kids LOVE this!!!! We've also turned it into a Pizza, pasta and movie night, so we home-make (from scratch!) our pizza or pasta, then rug up and watch a movie together. The kids are loving it, and DS#1 is acting out bits for the movie and DD loved the horses in Cinderella. Not limited to once a month either, but sometimes things get hectic! So far, we've watched: Snow White, Cinderella (my favourite), Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo and Cars. We also have Shrek, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast on our lists.

26. Join a playgroup.
It meets on a Monday at 10am. Haven't the courage to go yet, and when I did, it was the long weekend! Monday after school holidays.

27. Fix up DS2's room - paint, new chest of drawers.
We have the drawers. Just have to find the time to do the rest! Might ask hubby about starting the drawers on the weekend.

28. Meal plan - and reduce our takeaway consumption.
Meal planning is core to sticking to our budget. We buy dinner maybe once a month now, and usually some Subway or something every week or two for hubby and I. But this is a dramatic improvement on our laziness of before. Often, by the time we phone up, pick it up, and get back, it's just as quick to make a spag bol!


29. Take the children to the movies.
We took the kids to see Monsters vs Aliens during our holidays in April. Nuts, I know, taking a 22 month old, 35 month old and 4.5 year old, but we did it, and we made it out alive! DD covered her ears because it was "noisy", DS#1 loved it, and DS#2 fidgeted and ate through most of it.

30. Restart the childrens "What I am up to" journals. Just recounting various things they have said, done or are doing for their records.
Slack again.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing really well katy! Much better than my list when i am to scared to even look at currently LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well dont Katy!

    I cant wait to do number 25 with the kids when we move. When you get around to number 8, I want 1st dibs lol!

    ReplyDelete