Thursday, June 18, 2009

This weeks Menu Planning

I'm finishing my menu plan for the next week, and I've set myself a challenge to spend under $150 for each week this month, to shave off a bit from previous months which have blown out a little with thanks to the kids birthday party (feeding 25 people isn't that cheap!). I've put aside $100 into the 'meat' account for a bulk purchase next month or the month after.

I have a little Excel spreadsheet that I use. I have one "basic" template which has the basics that I tend to need from week to week (like potatoes, onions, carrots, yoghurt, milk, cheese, juice, cereal, dog food etc). It has a space for what meal I'm making when. Then I copy it each week, and make additions for any ingredients for the meals I'm making. I also have columns where I estimate how much I think it will cost me for each item on my list - eg $2.50 for a dozen large eggs.

Yesterday I had to buy milk, corn kernels and a loaf of bread to get me through until Friday, which leaves me with $140 for the grocery shop tomorrow. This grocery shop will get me through until the following Saturday, and in fact, I'd like to only get a few things next Friday/Saturday to get us through the weekend until a grocery shop on the Monday).

I've put everything on, and it's coming to $160. Think I'll need to adjust a couple of the meals and check whether I really *do* need everything on that list. I would like to get some bulk toilet paper, though. I can get it rather cheaply from Big W. I'd be quite happy to spend a little more this week, and less in the weeks to come, because I need to stock up on a few basics (like cereal, spreads and yeast) that we're finishing off now.

I've looked at the local catalogues on the internet, and have already worked out how to save a few dollars (98c lettuce at Coles - I only need a small amount, 98c/kg onions and potatoes and Coles). What I hate though, is when they tell you you have to buy TWO to get a discount - for example, I need just ONE jar of pesto this week. The Aldi pesto is awful, but to buy the one I like at Coles, I have to buy TWO for $7!! Rather than just spend $4.50 (normal price) for one, or even just $3.50 on special for 1. The same with the cereal my hubby likes, 2 for $7! You're forced to spend the extra $2 and get the second one, even though you really only need one (though will use the second eventually). So frustrating.

This week I'm making a diligent effort to make sure everything we need is on the list, and I shop to the list. NO EXTRA'S!!! If it's not on the list, it doesn't get bought!

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to see if you succeed! if so, please tell me your menu including lunches and snacks. how old are your kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you are a machine katy, I am super impressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're 4 (almost 5), just turned 3 and turned 2!

    ReplyDelete