Friday, November 6, 2009

The. Worst. Mother. Ever. Cont.

Yes, worst mother award has to go to me, at least for today anyway! I'm seriously at my wits end with Daisy! And when I sat down (against the wall with a box of tissues) to reflect on what happened, it came down to blaming myself.

We were at the shops this morning, firstly to Coles to stock up on some bread and milk, and then to Kmart, pricing up a few little goodies for Christmas - in particular a scooter and Junior Monopoly for Lego Boy. Daisy only has one set of summer pj's at the moment, so I thought we'd head over and have a look at the summer pj's and see if any happened to be marked down.

Now, Daisy is relentless. She is stubborn. She is a runner! Buster is flat out refusing to get in the pram of late - not an unfair request given that he is 2.5, so I tend to grab a trolley for him instead, and put our shopping in there. We managed to get through Coles OK, but Daisy just keeps running off. No amount of coercian, bribing or 'getting to her level to talk to her' has worked. I often panic and can't find her, and it's all innocent on her behalf - she thinks it's fun! But she still is yet to understand that Mummy doesn't find it fun.

We get to Kmart, and she is happy to walk. Fine. I hand each of the kids an apple to eat for morning tea - this should give me relatively calm and quiet for 30 minutes. I warn her - if she runs off again, I will put her in the trolley to finish off her apple, and to stop her from getting lost when she runs away.

Of course, we get to the clothing section, and she runs away. So I follow through, and I put her in the basket of the trolley. Of course, there are signs on the seat that say NOT to put kids in the basket. But hell, I can't have her (3.5) running loose all over the place AND Buster (2.5) running all over the place and a) getting lost; b) destroying the racks; c) picking things off the floor and eating them; d) breaking breakables; e) getting picked up by a stranger or f) causing Mummy a panic attack.

She is too big for a pram by now, and even if she WAS in a pram, Buster wouldn't be in a pram, and HE would be the one doing all the things above.

So she was in the basket of the trolley with Buster, eating their apples. Now she's become quite the little monkey with her climbing at home of late. Fine, that is part of developing her gross motor skills and is great for her fitness, climbing up the slides, the swings, the cubby house, the couch, her bed etc. But she decided to sit on the edge of the trolley. I asked (nagged) her several times not to, and to please sit down and finish her apple.

The trolley was RIGHT next to me while I flicked through the rack looking at the pj's. And she fell. The rack caught her, I went to grab her, but she fell the rest of the way, and fell on her back with a great thud as her head hit the floor.

She was in tears, I was in tears. I comforted her, checked her head. The Kmart woman fixed up the rack (!). She seemed fine, but I was furious. FURIOUS. The kids all had a late night last night, and the last thing we all needed was a long wait in the ER. Can you imagine?! So we got home, and I phoned the Health Services Number, and they were able to take me through a long checklist for her, and said it seems to be superficial, but keep an eye on her and if things change to call them back or go to the ER.

Daisy was happy. She didn't meet any criteria on their checkbox. She was happy to play.

But me, I'm a wreck. It was a genuine ACCIDENT. And I have no-one to blame but myself. I can't right her behaviour. I put her in the cart. I took her shopping. Of course, SHE is the one running off that is causing me panic and anxiety, but ultimately, how do I teach her not to? I've tried everything, and I'm not having any luck. I'm sick of every shopping expedition being a game to her as to how far she can push me and how far she can run away. I can go and chase her, but I have two other littlies that need my attention too!

I'm sure it's also an attention seeking thing, but it's getting beyond a joke. I'm so anxious already after the last few incidents about going out with the kids, and this is just the icing on the cake. If I can manage to get out with her on her own, she is fine. But when I have to go out with all of them, forget it. She runs off. She climbs in freezers. She pulls down stands. She eats things off the floor. She runs in front of trolleys (she's been hit several times because the poor owner can't stop in time!). She runs into display baskets. She runs and trips over and hers her knee/head/elbow.

Is my house going to become my prison with the kids because I just can't handle them when I go out??

What the hell do I do?? How do I take Lego Boy to orientation next week with the two littlies who will run in opposite directions? How am I supposed to do the grocery shopping when our weekends are already full and I'm trying to keep to a budget? How do I keep my sanity??

Daisy is currently sleeping, and I've checked on her every half an hour, and so far so good. I'm paranoid her runny nose isn't just a cold, that it's more than that.

Time will tell. But for the moment, I think I'll stay right where I am. I just don't know what the next step is.

9 comments:

  1. Katy i don't know if i have any answers, I do recall my middle being apain , and still can be at 6 to take out. It got to the point I only went when she was at preschool. Don't feel bad for putting her in the basket of the trolley I too have done this, once again my 6 yr old still wants to get in there and she weighs 30kgs. I have had the trolley tip before with my eldest in it.

    Try not to beat yourself up, sorry I can't help more. take care and enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my poor you and poor Daisy.

    Have you tried eliminating gluten from her diet. A fellow blogger did this and it made a HUGE difference in her daughter's behaviour. Maybe give that a try?

    For the orientation, can you ask someone to babysit for you?

    Shopping, I used to do online shopping when my 2 middle kids were little. It saved my sanity.=)

    ...Hang in there Katy. You're doing the best that you can.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I don't have kids so I'm probably not meant to have an opinion on this but oh well! I'm positive it's not you! Two of my good friends are going through this at the moment with their almost 3.5 year old and almost 4 y.o. girls. They've both tried and tried, I know they've both been in tears on occasion. One of the girls is really tests the boundaries with running away, tantrums, yelling but is much better with dad, grandparents, pre-school teacher! Little girls are very good at pushing the boundaries!!

    You are definitely not the worst mother ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel ... all of that guilt. Last Christmas Robert pulled his (very very heavy) chest-of-drawers over on top of himself. My hubby and I hadn't bolted it to the wall as we were still debating its exact placement. When it happened I felt sick. I have never been so frightened. He ended up with a sprained ankle and no other problems. I still beat myself up about it.

    NOt sure if this is any help ... but I was having trouble with how the 3 of mine walked through a carpark. Each time they started pulling at my hands and trying to run, I took them back to the start and we walked it again ... and again ... and again ... until they did it properly. (It took about 6 goes in a rather quiet carpark). It has improved things no end. Perhaps you could take another adult out shopping to help you with the other kids and you could do something similar with Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to share with you a 'punishment' that I find effective with my kids. It would be more effective if you were at home ... but perhaps it would work while you were out.

    When my kids are particularly bad then them miss out on the first 5 minutes of TV when it is next turned on. Missing out on TV when their siblings are watching is something that really bothers them (unlike timeout which they think is a game).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about one of those harnesses that you can buy for young kids?

    Another suggestion following on the gluten free one above is possibly the Fed Up (FAILSAFE) diet (www.fedup.com.au). Having said that I have no idea what her diet is or if it's relevant.

    I hope she's fine tomorrow and you get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't really offer much in the way of advice because even though I only have 2 I find myself in this situation often.

    Last time I went to DJ's with them both they managed to topple a mannequin and I was mortified.

    It sucks doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I've done the Failsafe diet with my kids. Feel free to email me if you want to know anything about it. I certainly noticed an improvement with behaviour when we were on the diet ... however it is hard work to maintain the food restrictions over any great lenght of time.

    On the www.fedup.com.au website there is a list of nasty additives. You could start by removing those from your diet ... that may be enough to help you out.

    See if you can get Fed Up out of your local library. It is a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to say Katy, this is such a foreign experience to me. All I know is, you are not the world's worst mum.
    I hope others have some good advice - maybe I can get some tips before I have a day like this myself in the future!

    ReplyDelete