Alright, so I actually did my meal plan and shopped for it last Friday, because I don't shop every 7 days because we're paid monthly, and I made the last shop last an extra 4 days with a couple of top ups.
On the plan is:
Friday - Spinach and ricotta cannelloni with salad and homemade focaccia
Saturday - Out for a BBQ
Sunday - Sweet potato gnocchi (homemade) with salad
Monday - Tortilla stack with salad
Tuesday - homemade chicken schnitzel with mash and vegies
Wednesday - at Mums
Thursday - Beef chow mein
Friday - Fish with wedges and vegies
Baking - fruit bread (for breakfasts), scones, banana and coconut pikelets, Berry Muffins, Vegetable Pie for lunches
As I did the shopping last Friday, I did score a few good prices! I'm definitely learning more about the cycles of the F&V shop and supermarkets, and generally know (in my head) what is a good price to pay for something, and what is better to leaves. EG I got an avocado from Aldi for just 90c, whereas they were $1.99 at the F&V shop.
This weeks bargains:
- little grape tomatoes $1.48 per punnet (love LOVE snacking on these or in salads)
- punnet tiny cherry tomatoes for 99c per punnet
- regular tomatoes for $1.50 per kilo
- seedless watermelon for 75c/kilo
- pumpkin 80c/kilo
- onions 99c/kilo
- pink lady apples $2.48/kilo (take them before they rocket in price!)
- huge rockmelon for $1.99
- large cauliflower for $1.49
- 5kg potatoes for $2.99
- jars pasta sauce for $4 (good for a standby and for cannelloni tonight)
- raincheck for some batteries for $8.79 for 16 (half price for Eveready Golds)
- ricotta for $5.49/kilo
I always consult the seasonal F&V guide when I go shopping - which usually points to what produce is also cheapest. Not always the case though - while blueberries were relatively cheap to normal ($3.40/punnet), strawberries were still $2.99/punnet. So I still steered clear! Likewise, beans ranged from $6.99-8.99/kg.
Tomatoes are in season, however, so it's almost time for me to make relish, especially while the onions are still cheap!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



It looks like you've got a yummy week planned. Does your Mum cook healthy meals for you?
ReplyDeleteYou are so god at hunting down the bargains! I am guilty of paying $3.50 for a punnet of strawberries yesterday, eeeek. I also took the husband grocery shopping with me – we ended up with 2 packets of chips, 5 (!!) packets of biscuits, some sugary cereal and potato gems!! Thankfully I don’t like most of the things he put in the trolley so he will eat most of them!
ReplyDelete