Thursday, November 5, 2009

*I* Need orientation!


Lego Boy had his first orientation today at "big school". Fortunately, hubby decided to take the morning off and look after the two littlies, so I could go with Lego Boy and concentrate and not have to worry about the other two 1) making lots of noise; 2) running off (in opposite directions); or 3) screaming and fighting.

I'm extremely proud of him. He went off with his buddy to his new classroom with his teacher - who looks and sounds to be lovely - with no concerns or worries. We listened and asked questions with the Primary Pricipal - our school is a primary and high school - and then had a little tour of the library and technology rooms. We then watched the 'new kinders' finish up in the classroom, and we were done!

Lego Boy enjoyed every minute - he liked his buddy, they made and coloured a snake, read a story and sang songs. He is already itching to go back, and to start 'writing'.

Me, on the otherhand... I felt like the only 'new' parent! The others mostly knew each other, and it wasn't their first child at school, so they knew their way around and knew each other. I remember reading something years ago that you can always spot the 'new' parent, and I'm sure that was the case here! Doesn't faze me - the primary school itself is relatively small with only 200 students (and 1100 high school students), and only one kinder class, possibly a composite K/1 class too, as there are 23 kids.

Aside from feeling like I have never left school (!), I definitely feel like the new Mum on the block. Lego Boy's enrolment forms are all handed in - I managed to stumble my way around the school to find the office - but now I'm feeling lost. Uniforms - how many to get? Where to get them from? Do I HAVE to get them from the uniform shop ($27 for a polo shirt?! They're special school ones)? How do I get involved in the P&C? Can I do canteen duty? Will I kill another kid with homebaked goodies because they're allergic to the little bit of nuts or egg I put in it? How do I choose him the 'right' hat and the 'right' bag and the 'right' lunchbox? The 'right' socks? How do I organise all the bits and pieces that will be coming home from school?

All simple stuff, I'm sure, that I'll work out with time, but it's rather overwhelming at the moment only being at the start of this journey!

PS - I did go for my 1 hour walk today (I did get rained on!); yesterday I went to the gym (563 cals) and went for a 20 minute walk with the kids.

4 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm but you will find that the kids are encouraged not to share their food especially home baked goods due to allergies!!

    School uniforms are expensive just make sure you label properly and in unique spots... parent/kids take others home and they just get relabelled! Yes they do!

    I am not a mother's group mam purely as I have always worked full time but I am sure you will enjoy getting involved....

    Good luck it's a huge step not only for lego boy but for you too... I have one started high school next year and I am really scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing just fine Katy. Let Lego boy help you with choosing his stuff. It's gonna make him feel so "grown up". =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, that's another reason why I homeschool :)

    ReplyDelete