Thursday, November 12, 2009

We have been out in public...

and survived and lived to tell the tail! Tuesday was a quick trip, as I promised the kids. I told them what we were doing, how long it would take (we were done in 45 minutes), that they would have morning tea, and a play if they stuck with me.

It worked. Mostly. I did bring the 'puppy dog' backpack/lead thingy with me, and did use it at Aldi at the checkouts when Daisy decided to run off, and of course she screamed the shop down. I finished paying, then got to her level, explained to her (again) why I had put it on, and that if she stayed with me, I would take it off. She said she would, I took it off, and she did.

The shop wasn't a full shop anyway, but at least I had some success, and a little boost to my confidence. They ate the pikelets I made, and had a play for 20 minutes, while I drank my coffee (my treat!). Lucky for them, their play was extended another 30 minutes again as my neighbour arrived to let her little girl (5) have a play before she finished her shopping, so we chatted while the kids played. It was nice. Really nice. Her older boy is in year 3, and her little girl is going to school with Lego Boy. And she's aware of how overwhelmed I am by the school experience, and offered me lots of hints and tips.

Lego Boy's second orientation day today, and I'm grinning - he did so well! He went off into the classroom and found his 'buddy' by himself, and didn't look back. No doubt it will be different next year as he realises that it's permanent! LOL. The kids had a little money to spend from Nanna last night, so we walked to Coles after orientation, and they each chose a Freddo to buy. Success all around - I went out AGAIN with all the kids for school drop off, and a 5 minute dash into Coles.

The new Weight Watchers magazine is out, and I bought that with my 'sanity money' and my reward for this weeks weight loss, looking forward to sitting down and reading it!

There are a few hot days forecast for the next few days, so I'd like to get out for a ride with the kids over the weekend, and possibly take them for a quick dip at the beach too, there is a PERFECT little pool for the kids at Norah Head that is an ocean pool, and has some nice shallow bits for the kids.

45 minute walk this morning - combination of factors of a late night last night (1am - bloody roadwork on the freeway added 20 minutes to our already late trip home last night) and hubby had to leave early for work. But I still got up and went despite only 5 hours sleep!

5 comments:

  1. you must be feeling human again , lol, I am glad it went well. i remember being so scared when my first went to Kindy, you feel so weird not having them with you and under some one else control if that makes sense. Enjoy your mag i will have to pick it up tomorrow at my meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. phew! big sigh of relief! well done on using all those strategies successfully and having an uneventful day out with the kids. i don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay yay yay!! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete