Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Melbourne Cup Day

I was able to get out for my walk this morning before the heat of the day - I even set my alarm earlier, and all the cars that I normally see, I didn't. But my iPod ran out of batteries 5 minutes into my walk, and it was pointless going back to try and charge it for my walk. So I went without it. I know my route pretty well now to know how long an hour is, and I came spot on time.

Hubby was hosting a Melbourne Cup afternoon tea, so I made a couple of batches of scones fresh for him to take, and a batch of pikelets (in addition to the Lemon Tart and Raspberry Coconut slice I made yesterday).

Still managed to get out of the house at 9:30am and meet a friend for a playdate for the kids. Phew!

Bloody hot today though, when I left our playdate at 12, it was 42 in the carpark, and then 39 when I got home - and I live 10 minutes from the beach!

Lego Boy watched his first Melbourne Cup race today, and was enthralled, asking lots of questions about the horses, the gates, the jockeys etc. Hubby placed a bet on #4, but it just missed out on a place and came fourth!

Of course, we've run out of salad, and I'm just going to make the gnocchi tonight for dinner sans the salad. Can't be bothered doing much more!!

Note to self: check the weather forecast BEFORE doing a meal plan!!

I do love the warmer weather though, and the BBQ's it brings and the different type of meals we have. Hubby is much more into salads this year, so I'm hoping to make a few this summer. Kids don't, however, so it'll have to be a compromise and leftovers for them on that night.

5 comments:

  1. I totally missed the race , the girls were showing my mum the new wii plus, and I juts forgot. oops.

    I agree on checking the forcast, I ended going to woolies for salad and cans of salmon and tuna. Kids are eating theres now salad, cheese, grapes, tuna , salmon , ham and a roll. I am abit spoilt with there eating.

    enjoy your gnocchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swapped my meal plan around too to accommodate the balmy weather - Tuesday is the new Saturday lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were sensible - I went for my walk at the usual time while B was in drama - it was 38 deg!! I only did 10 mins though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was disgusting today. Blurgh

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a very productive day! I did nothing for Melbourne Cup, very boring!

    ReplyDelete