This probably isn't traditional. But it *is* quick. Nutritious. Delicious. And it will be on the table in 25 minutes. I also like it because I can quite often use up bit and pieces from the fridge - a limp carrot, leftover diced pumpkin, whatever you like, you can add to it. I get the vegies ready while the onion and beef is cooking.
Given that cabbage is in season at the moment, I cooked this the other week.
Beef Chow Mein
Serves 4 @ 4 points
Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g lean beef mince
1 packet chicken noodle soup mix
1/4 cup rice
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 large cabbage or 1/2 small cabbage, finely shredded
2 carrots, grated
250g beans (I use frozen, or substitute with peas)
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
Method
1. Heat oil in large saucepan (I use my scanpan), and fry onion until soft. Add garlic and beef, cook on a high heat until beef is browned.
2. Stir in soup mix, rice, sauce, curry powder and water. Layer in vegetables.
3. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then 5 minutes with the lid off, until liquid is absorbed, adding more water if necessary.
This freezes well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Am definitely going to try this recipe.
ReplyDeleteSeems very quick and easy.