Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

This weekend was very bittersweet. I had a fantastic time with my family, but my godfather passed away on Saturday after an 8 year battle with cancer.

First, the good.

Saturday we all took the bigger two children to swimming, then headed off to the hardware store to start getting some ideas for some extra storage in our wardrobe. Hubby and the kids then dropped me off at the gym (533 cals), and I walked home from the gym! Surprisingly, it only took me spot on 30 minutes to get home. It looks like a much longer trip than that, but nope, 30 minutes! Map My Run says it was 3.22km, so that is a pretty fabulous time!

We then had a lazy lunch of leftover (homemade) pizza and ham sandwiches, and I lazed on the grass in the lovely warmth, reading a magazine and dozing. Bliss.

I then pulled myself from that loveliness, and went to the "digger" shop (aka landscape supply shop), and got a trailer full of top dressing, and I spent an hour shovelling out the entire trailer (by myself, and a little of the kids assistance), while hubby raked it over the backyard. I'm so stoked with that effort, because 2 years ago, I would NEVER have done that. I might have helped rake, but I'd never get in there, grab the wheelbarrow and shovel, and just DO IT.

So that was a good, solid 2 hours of exercise for Saturday! I then had a Greys Anatomy fix that night; finally, I'm up to Season 5, I'm trying to get through them before Season 6 starts later this month.

Sunday, I had an early text from my Mum to say my uncle John had passed away (close friend - he is married to my Mums best friend since grade 4, and my folks met at their wedding). He was diagnosed back in 2001, and was supposed to only have a year to live. He had been fighting it rather well until the last 8 months or so, and he started going rapidly downhill. Just so sad, but his passing has given me (yet another) reminder of how lucky I am to have my family, and I really need to make the most of them, and of life.

I had to drag hubby out so we could all go for a bike ride at the Entrance. He didn't want to go. He was grumpy, which made ME grumpy. But we got over all that grumpiness, and headed out. We managed to get in half an hour, before my poor little DS#1 got swooped by a magpie :( Remember I was only just talking about being swooped last week? This one was aggressive, really aggressive. He went for him about a dozen times - spread over the shoulder, arm, and his (thankfully) helmet. The bloody thing drew blood too, and his helmet has about 8 huge dings out of it. We'd never let him out without his helmet (or was that the magnet??) but it was really scary. Hubby was leading (with DD and DS#2 in the bike trailer), DS#1 was in the middle and I followed up the rear. But the damned thing didn't stop. Thankfully hubby heard DS's terrible cries and turned back and scared the bird away.

Poor DS was so shaken and terrified :( So we turned back. We managed a good hours ride in total, and 14km. Stopped at the Entrance for BBQ chicken sandwiches, a play in the fabulous childrens water fountains, a coffee, and headed home. We just had simple homemade pasta with bolognaise sauce, then watched the (taped) game of Parra vs St George.

A lovely weekend, with some bittersweet mixed in.

I have eaten about 6 points over most days this week, but have been exercising a lot of those off. I really need to pull my head in with my eating!! It's not usually 'bad' or unhealthy food, just too much of it.

This morning I dragged my rather sore body off to the gym. No idea on cals, as the machine was busy and I had to rush out. Just glad to have it out of the way!

4 comments:

  1. What a nasty bird! I can't believe the helmet got dinged that many times - your poor kid. Just as while he was wearing a helmet. When I first arrived in Australia I saw people walking through parks with umbrellas poking upwards and wondered what on earth they were doing until I saw them swooping at them. Well done on the great exercising! You're not far off from getting to goal now - keep up the fantastic inspiring effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did I write 'while' instead of 'well'...as in just as well he was wearing a helmet - ahemmm ;|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your godfather :(

    Well done on all the exercise - can you move yet?! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about your godfather, I recently lost my father to a 3 week battle and I too am thankful for what I have & try to make each day a special one.
    hope you have a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete