Thursday, September 24, 2009

The big clean up


The big red dust clean up! I'm sure many people living towards central Australia would be used to cleaning up red dust, but I'm not! I can still taste it from yesterday, and although I thought our home was sealed up pretty tight, we have a film of red dust over almost everything. The floors in particular always drive me nuts, but they're slippery, so I have to tackle it all today. Of course, it makes sense to start top to bottom, but the floors are what I'm itching to get to!

Ironically enough, I have to say I'm lucky I hadn't finished my big Spring Clean I was hoping to get to. In fact, I'd barely made a dent, as I've probably only covered about 10%. Phew! Because everything, mainly outside, has red dust in every nook and cranny. I'm seeing the bright side to being a couple of weeks late!!

I have a big 7 page Word with a tick list of all the little things I'm wanting to do, which makes it easy to utilise a free 5 minutes I might have here and there, where I can just choose one thing of the list.

Shannon Lush has some great tips that she spoke about on Drive on the ABC yesterday evening. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of it yet, as the kids were making a racket on the drive to Mums and I missed most of it, and I can't listen to at the moment as the kids are too busy squabbling over lego (should I be adjudicating or just let it be a free for all?!). Mum said a big one was to put pantyhose over your broom and use that on the floors before vacuuming (and even over a dustpan brush to use over your car before washing). To use water last! And also to start from the top down.


Luckily I already wiped over my washing line with a cloth, it was filthy, and would only make my washing dirty, defeating the purpose of washing it in the first place!


This morning I got out for my 1 hour walk. I was swooped again! And now I'd better go and settle some arguments and get stuck into the cleaning.

1 comment:

  1. You’re not very lucky at the moment with the Maggies! I have a friend from Broken Hill and apparently her Dad’s place is full of red dust, all their clothes and linen need to be washed and it’s even in the microwave! Insane.

    ReplyDelete