Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I've been swooped


You know, I've gone most of my almost-30 years without being swooped by a Magpie. I've had the good sense not to go out in the outdoors, not to go near their nests and just avoiding these protective birds.

But - I was swooped by one on a bike ride last month for the first time, leaving me rather shaken and with some lovely scratches and dents on my lovely new-looking helmet. And as if once wasn't enough, on my walk this morning, I was swooped again! Twice in the space of a month, after almost 30 years of avoiding them.

My walk was for an hour this morning. And was it a stroke of luck, or did I miss that stroke of luck, a bird pooped on my path just 50cm in front of where I was about to walk. Isn't it good luck for a bird to poo on you? Did I MISS what would have been luck for me, or did I just get lucky by not having to clean it up?!
Photo: Flikr

2 comments:

  1. Swooping Magpies are horrible! When we lived in Canberra they were everywhere, I'd cross the road to avoid them. There's not so many by the beach in Adelaide thank god!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a huge magpie swooping issue at school every year. they LOVE bike helmets, and bike riding kids cop it a lot. i have never been swooped though! fingers crossed i can keep it that way.
    i hope you avoid any more swooping too!

    ReplyDelete