Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bulk Meat Shop


On Saturday, we did our bulk meat shop. It took us about 3 hours in total to split up and cut up the chicken and beef, but it was totally worth the time saving (and cost savings!) of buying it weekly.


We spent $235, and we've come away with 50 packages of meat, which should give us a good 11-12 weeks worth of meat, once I throw in the fortnightly visit to my Mums, weekly fish night, weekly vegetarian night, the odd night out at friends and occasional takeaway. That's an average of $22 per week on meat (probably $27 if you include fish).


For that we got:

* 12 meals cubed beef (500g per meal), will do leftovers too + kids party

* 10 meals chicken (500g per meal), will do leftovers too

* 8 meals steaks (half sirloin, half rump) - kids will have leftovers or snags
* 6 meals minced beef (500g per meal, minced ourselves)

* 5 meals bacon (250g per package)

* 2 meals marinated chicken chops (delicious, and I do them as a mini-chicken roast)

* 2 meals - 1 butterflied chicken for the BBQ (1 x chicken dinner, 1 x risotto)

* 2 meals - 1 leg lamb (1 x roast lamb, leftover in a shepherd's pie)

* 2 meals veal (schnitzeled) - one I'll crumb and I was thinking of veal rolled up with a sundried tomato/olive/cheese filling

* 1 meal packet lamb leg steaks - my indulgence! I love these with a cheesy mustard and onion topping


The offcuts of beef and chicken, I cook up with 1/2 cup rice, and 1 cup of vegies with a good splosh of water, and cook for 20 minutes. Then I blend it - and voila - dog food for a week for our little dog, also saving us $5 on dog food.


Not a bad haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment