On Saturday we are hosting a small birthday party for DD and DS#2 (3 and turning 2). And hubby, whose birthday is in there somewhere too :)
We've decided to combine them for the convenience of guests having to travel to see us, and there is a financial benefit too. We're expecting 12 adults and 8 children for afternoon tea and dinner.
I would love some opinions. Too much food? Different type of (easy to prepare ahead) desserts?
Menu
Afternoon tea
A selection of:
* mini homemade sausage rolls
* mini-quiches (but what types?)
* spinach & cheese triangles
* fruit
* mushroom/celery/carrot sticks + dip + crackers
* cinnamon biscuits
* mini cup cakes
* a few lollies (smarties? chips?)
Dinner
A selection of:
* beef and mushroom casserole
* beef korma curry
* fried rice (corn, peas, grated carrot, bacon, egg)
* homemade bread (x 3)
* large vegetable pie (x 2)
* salad
* baked potatoes?
* baked risotto?
Dessert
* lemon tart
* chocolate pudding and ice-cream (or sticky date pudding?)
* birthday cakes (star for DD, farmyard for DS#2 and homemade ice-cream cake for hubby)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow Katy, that's a whole lotta food!!
ReplyDeleteI would seriously try to 3 at most choices in each category... try and make most of it ahead so you can just stash in the oven/reheat.
Mini Quiches - Lorraine, spinach and pine nut, sundried tomato basil
Choc or White crackles (I do mine with 100's and thousands in them)
Fruit platter with yoghurt dip for kids and chocolate hazelnut dip for adults...
Dinner:
Beef Lasagne (kid friendly that option!)
Oven tomato thyme and 3 cheese risotto (for vegetarians)
A soup of some kind (for those who might pig out earlier in the day and want something light - and can be reheated in the microwave if there's no room in the oven)
Salad
Crusty bread
Desserts are perfect!
Looks yummy! I have no advice or whatever to give, I've never cooked for a big lot of people like that. Good luck though!
ReplyDeleteI'd love your risotto recipe Liss, if you have one!
ReplyDeleteWe've now got an extra 3 men coming, so I think I need the heavy meat content, but I'm cutting out the fried rice and spuds.