Friday, February 13, 2009

Proud to be an Australian

Today, I am proud to be an Australian. And I'm grateful for being an Australian. I was in tears watching the telethon on NBN/Channel 9 last night, and seeing the generosity of ordinary Australians. Our corporations and businesses. It was heartwarming. There was a little ticker along the bottom showing who has made donations, and the amount that they had donated. You could see that children had raided their piggy-banks. That small businesses had managed to put some money to donate, despite them facing financial hardships themselves. It's fantastic.

I donated blood last night at our local Australian Red Cross Blood Centre. I managed to get an appointment a few days ago, and asked hubby to come home from work early so I could go. They were run off their feet, and unable to accept anyone without appointments. But the sentiment and feeling in the room was vibrant. The staff were in good spirits, and they showed honest appreciation for each and every person donating.

1 comment: