Thursday, March 26, 2009

A tiny set-back

With a 500g gain on Tuesday night. Hard to admit, but at least I tracked every single point, and I still exercised 6 from 7 days, which is a fabulous achievement. I'm already working hard to work off that 500g, and then some for next week.

Despite a late night last night, I still got up at 6:30 for a walk, and have done a good chunk of housework today, so lots of bonus points there. Dinner is relatively low-point - with a beef and mushroom casserole with potato dumplings and lots of steamed vegies. I've kept myself distracted, this afternoon in particular, so I don't boredom eat.

Have discovered after much thinking, how lonely I am at the moment. I love my husband to death, he is so good for me, he is my best friend, and I'd spend every minute with him. But I need a different type of companionship - mothers. I've put myself out there - I've met people at a shopping centre, organised to catch up, then they don't turn up. I went to a mothers group, and wasn't invited to a function they were organising - they handed out the invites in front of me (nice, huh?). I've tried catching up with friends from an old mothers group, but I always have to travel the 1.5 hours to their house - they won't travel here, despite invites. I've tried to organise another playdate with friends from Lachlan's preschool, and the mother is always busy (I'm sure Netball days up the entire day!).

So I feel defeated. And it's just so much work to try and join some cosy and cliquey group, most people have already MADE their friends. I always wanted one of those good, life-long girlfriends, and I don't have one.

1 comment:

  1. I went through exactly the same thing when I was living in Melbourne. Everyone grew up in the area, had all their friends still from high school, or had met mums at preschool, and then I came along with my daughter to start Prep. I made one really good friend (I thought) until I moved to Brisbane, and she never responded to my phone calls or emails.

    It's so different up here, as everyone is from interstate or overseas. The only thing I can suggest is to do what I had to do in Melbourne. Keep on pushing yourself on people, talking to them even when they don't seem interested. Learn their name, their kids name and everytime say 'How's Lily, How's Tom' if you know what I mean. If you know someone's been on holiday, ask how it was. This is what I did, just kept on putting myself in the mix until finally someone asked me questions in return, and I knew I was in.

    Perhaps YOU could organise a get together for mum's from your kids classes. Put a flyer together and get the teacher to hand it out. Coffee morning at a cafe for the mums of Class 3B, don't bother getting RSVP's, just turn up, worse thing can happen, you get a nice quiet coffee! If it works out, see if anyone is interested in making it a regular thing.

    ReplyDelete