Monday, October 13, 2008

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

I had my niece’s 3rd birthday party yesterday. It was an afternoon tea party, and I had a fabulous and successful strategy worked out. I knew there would be lots of yummy food to entice me, including chocolate birthday cake, cup-cakes, slices, lollies etc. I made sure just before I left for the 2pm party that I had a healthy big lunch – a chicken salad sandwich and an apple. I felt full and contented. I brushed my teeth. And I had chewing gum in my mouth virtually the whole time! So I would have had to take the gum out in order to be able to eat anything. I had done extra exercise in the morning, with a good 30 minute walk and 20 minutes of housework (scrubbing the shower!), so I had allowed that I would be able to have a few little treats if I found something I truly desired. But nothing really took my fancy, so I didn’t touch any of it! I also took my own bottle of water in case there was none there (there wasn’t). I am so very proud for getting through the party yesterday afternoon with no soft drink (even the diet kind) or party food.

However, this is the bit where I failed to plan! I knew there was a possibility of going back to my in-laws for dinner. And that it would probably be pizza or takeaway because the host had spent an exhausting day and a half preparing for the party. And I was right! We went back for an evening of pizza, grog and Singstar! The host was kind to buy dinner, so what we had was out of my control. Or is that an excuse? I was 19 points over.

I did only have 3 pieces of pizza, which with my saved points over the past few days and the extra exercise, was manageable. But I also had 4 medium glasses of wine, and a few snacks. My eating was completely out of control, and thinking about it now, I knew what I was doing, and it was habit. I was having fun, I was with people I love and enjoy spending time with. The positives:
· The pizza would have fit into my points because I had been saving over the previous 3 days
· I did plenty of exercise in the morning to compensate
· I ate no party food, even when there were dozens of plates of delicious bits of food to eat!
· I have 3 more days to save more points to help compensate for my blow out – I need to save 10 points over 3 days, which is completely achievable.

Now I need to look forward, and how I can improve next time I am in the same situation:
· Only share one bottle of wine, not two
· Say NO – only have two glasses of wine, and make them spritzers by bring some mineral water
· Bring my own healthy snacks to share, rice crackers, low fat dip, fruit
· Use the gum trick
· Drink more water to keep my hands busy and not reaching for snacks

I have found my favourite breakfast this week has been 2 slices of multigrain bread with cottage cheese and tomato, with a little salt and pepper. It is so yummy and filling, I wish I had found it earlier. By having one tomato for breakfast, I am also having a serve of fruit (it’s a fruit botanically, isn’t it?!).

Another thing I’m working on is finding time for myself and putting myself and my needs and wants first. Taking a walk on my own on Thursday night was a really nice change – there was still an inkling of sunlight, I had music on, my do for company (he doesn’t complain about the walk!) and the kids were safe at home with hubby. Going to my Weight Watchers meeting is another way I’m putting me first. Taking the time to loofah in the shower and moisturize afterwards. And now starting this journal is another, even if it is just 10 minutes a day.


I used to think it was difficult to think of ways to reward myself without food, since food is by far the easiest and yummiest way. On the odd occasion, it has to be OK – going out for an anniversary or birthday, but as a daily thing, it just can’t be sustainable. I can find many things that require a reward – even for washing the floors!

A few things I’ve been thinking of lately include a magazine subscription and massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment