Thursday, March 4, 2010

So long HMAS Adelaide


This month, March 27, the HMAS Adelaide is scheduled to be sunk off the shores of Avoca. It will provide a playground for Divers, and also for marine life off the coast. It astounds me, as it is "only" 30 years young, which I thought would be relatively young for a member of the Navy, but apparently not! It is going to be given a different lease on life.

It should provide another attraction for the Central Coast, boost local tourism and hospitality. There are lots of people are already preparing to visit the wreckage.

For more information, go to the HMAS Adelaide webpage.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have some fond memories of being onboard HMAS Adelaide - as a Naval cadet and also Hubby and our best man both served aboard it.

    Defence Technologies do outdate very quickly, and that is what keeps my hubby employed these days :P Anzacs (the replacement for FFGs) are quickly going out of date too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really interesting. I had no idea these ships had such a short life span!

    ReplyDelete