There are glimpses of the gorgeous little girl we have. Daisy can be sweet, giddy, cuddly, giggly... but only at short intervals - between 6:30-7am, 2-2:30pm and 6:45-7pm. The rest of the day she is generally grumpy, obnoxious, yelling, stomping around, slamming the door. She also came out with a couple of other gems yesterday "Me never do what you say", "Me not love you anymore" and "Me hate you". Why is it that it's possible for a little 3.75 year old to reduce me to tears?
I know she doesn't mean it. I know she'll get over it (maybe once she's an adult!!). Will it get better? REALLY?? My boys are just much more placid, and she's a firecracker. Like me, I'm repeatedly told!
Every day is a challenge, and I almost dread having to spend the day with her - if it wasn't for those few moments of the girl I know she really is, I don't know how I'd manage!
Of course, this also pushes a lot of buttons when it comes to my eating - and trying to deal with (for me) the stress of her temper and attitude, would normally have me reaching straight for the food. I'm keeping this in check by tracking and keeping busy, but boy, it's hard to beat old habits! Being accountable in my tracker - to myself - has really helped me this week. Other weeks, that might not work, but for this week I'm having success with writing it all down. Also having very little junk in the house has also helped!



Have you read Sue Dengate's book "Fed Up"? You can probably get it from your library .. and also from Dymocks. It discusses the effect of naturally occuring food chemicals (salicylates, amines & glutamates). Some people are sensitive to these chemicals and it can have many impacts, including on behaviour. The book and Sue's website (http://fedupwithfoodadditives.info/) are designed to support people doing the "Simplified Elimination Diet", which was devised by the Royal Prince Alfred Hospial's allergy unit.
ReplyDeleteEmail me if you'd like more information (the kids are going crazy in the background and I'm not doing this comment justice!!)
On Sue's website (above) there is also a list of food additives to avoid as they are know to have a potential impact on behaviour and other things. That might be a starting point for you, if you want to investigate the possibility of food being a factor.
Also have a look on the Royal Prince Alfred hospital's website. They have done a book "Friendly Food" ... it is basically a cook book for sensitive people ... and Sue Dengate has also done a cookbook "The Failsafe Cookbook"
Threenagers. Ick. Who'd have 'em?
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should chuck Daisy & Lexie in a room together and let them sort themselves out and leave their Mumma's in peace?
(Or maybe they would collaborate and re-appear with piercings and tattoos and even more threenager attitude? Eeek. Chin up. The fabulous fours are coming soon......
I used to have to be careful what my son ate, because when he was under 6 he would get really hyper and then moody when the effect of the colour/sugar wore off. He grew out of it and can now eat pretty much anything.
ReplyDeleteHe is still grumpy, but that's because he's a teenager now. I hope he will grow out of this as well.
I know how you feel - I too had a little boy like that, up until he started 4yr old kinder three weeks ago, his attitude has changed and for once he has become my most amazing little man I once had a long long time ago.
ReplyDeleteChin up Katy, I too have been reduced to tears on numerous occasions with him, but I can tell you it does get better, she will one day be your happy little girl again and believe it or not you'll laugh about her attitude one day............there will be lots of story telling thats for sure!
Una
I had a similar problem with the Princess G just after Christmas, so much so we cancelled a trip to her Nana's one morning, and my husband sent me out of the house until she learned that you have to be nice to people.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what turned it around, but now she is (reasonably) polite, very apologetic and loving. It started before she started 1 day of Kinder/care a week, but spending time with other kids has certainly helped.
Did your daughter's behaviour change when your son stated school? Just a thought, but maybe she is missing him ...