I thought it might be useful to have a post to discuss Weight Loss over Christmas. Christmas 2008, I had been on Weight Watchers for around 10 weeks. I managed to lose 200g the week of Christmas! And I didn't go hungry. I got to eat a bit of everything on offer. In fact, over the month of December, I lost 3kg! I didn't feel deprived. I celebrated. I went to parties, and birthday parties. And I still lost weight.
This year, of course I'd like to get to goal by the end of year, but I'm going to set myself the very realistic goal of maintaining my weight over the month. Any losses will be a bonus! I know the month is frought with danger - I have FOUR birthdays to celebrate this year, numerous parties, games nights, and eating out. So I think maintaining my weight through making sensible choices and keeping up the exercise (or doing some extra!) will help me with my goal to maintain this month.
The thing to remember is that Christmas is just ONE day. It is not a month. It is not a week. It is just ONE DAY. We all often get caught up in the emotions and celebratory atmosphere, and it's so easy to overindulge. And once you have blown it once, it's easy to do it again. And again. And again.
Here are some of my top tips to losing or maintaining your weight over Christmas:
- do NOT go back for seconds
- use a smaller plate
- load up your plate with vegetables, salads and fruit, before serving your meat and other high-calorie food
- have a small taste of desserts only, and savour every, tiny, mouthful - and remember tip (1) and (2)
- Alternate drinks - have wine spritzers/low joule champers
- Keep up your exercise over Christmas - boost your exercise and try and fit in an extra 10-20 minute walk every day, or an extra session at the gym
- See if you can bring something to contribute to the feast - something that is low in points, like salad, a roast vegetable salad, low-point entrees, a low-point cake etc
- Make sure you stop, rest, assess
- Keep up your water intake
- Stick to filling foods, they will keep you satisified for longer! Most Christmas lunches/dinners have them!
- I use the 80/20 rule - 80% filling foods/20% treats
- Stay away from the nibbles. They're almost always high in points! Enjoy this special time with your family, catch up with what you've missed, have a chat, it'll distract you
- Go for a walk or swim after Christmas lunch, rather than an afternoon siesta
- GIVE AWAY LEFTOVERS!!! And don't accept them to take home!
- Be accountable. Go to a weigh-in before Christmas. And afterwards. You might need to change meetings, or change the day you weigh-in, but be accountable. Gain, loss or maintain, front up, be accountable, and move on!



I think exercise is the key. As long as you do something each day, you'll be okay and not a tank by New Years!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Katy. I struggled over christmas as my parents were staying with us, and they are big overeaters, both being obese as well. I managed a gain of 400g over 3 weeks, and am pleased with that. Your tips helped. Thanks!
ReplyDelete