Given that I'm trying to stick to a budget, I thought I'd investigate buying Olive Oil in larger quantities, and decanting it into an oil bottle. I'm introducing a little more oil to our diets - for two reaons; a WW guideline {that I've been rather slack at following, because, lets face it, I'd rather have a little treat instead!} and because I think my skin needs a little more healthy oil to stop it drying out over winter. Also, being on maintenance I can manage an extra teaspoon or two without it 'hurting' my weight badly.
So this has lead me to feel overwhelmed by the choice and variety of different Olive Oils that are available! There isn't just ONE oil, and each one has a different purpose and flavour. It hasn't really bothered me much before - I thought they were all the same, and then I haven't been actually using much anyway for it to matter.
However, I had some olive oil in a pasta dish recently and it just didn't taste "right". Likewise, when I make bread, I tend to use olive oil. It definitely overpowers some flavours, and think canola or sunflower oil might be a better choice, particularly for my bread making (not vegetable because of the saturated fats).
So what are the different types of olive oils out there and what are they best to be used for?
Any olive oil with the "virgin" label refers to the oil from the first mechanical press of olives and has good taste. No chemicals used for extraction.
"Extra virgin olive oil" - oil from the first press of olives with low acidity. Finest oil, fruity and strong flavour. Best for dressings, marinades, serving with bread and uncooked uses.
"Pure olive oil" - following the first pressing, more oil is extracted using other methods, and may be combined with virgin oil to replace some lost flavour.
"Light olive oil" - lighter only in flavour. Finely filtered to remove some colour and flavour. Has a higher smoke point and good for high temperature frying.
"Olive oil" - blend of virgin and refined oil and lacks strong flavour. Best for general cooking.
My mistake is using extra-light or extra virgin olive oil for my general cooking and baking. The strong flavour is a little over-powering (for me).
Don't forget, oil should be kept in a cool, dark place!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Hi Katy, I too am trying to budget, and have started a new blog to help myself keep on track - http://livingthelowlife.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI've found it astonishing some of the things I've been paying full price for, when the alternative home brands are of a similar quality. The most amazing was the $3 difference in Woolies for tuna, and their cheapest home brand in springwater was just delicious, for $1.89 a can!