Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bargains grocery shopping today

I finally got around to oding my grocery shop today - I had enough in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to mostly get by for the previous couple of days.

Whilst I detest shopping on a Thursday with a passion - loads of old, disapproving old people! - it does seem to prove worth shopping on that day for some of the specials I found.

They were too good not to share. Most of them aren't much of a surprise really, as they're mostly all in season at the moment.
  • Whole cabbage - $1.99
  • Whole jap pumpkin - $2
  • Whole cauliflower - $1.99
  • Pink lady apples - $1.99/kg
  • Bananas 79c/kg
  • 2kg brushed spuds - $1.49
  • Sweet potato 99c/kg
  • Mushrooms $7/kg
  • Strawberry punnet $1.99 (rare treat for Lego Boy for school)
  • Avocados 79c/each
  • Red capsicums $2.99/kg
  • Brocolli $2.99/kg

I even nabbed 675g tortellini for $5 that I've put in the freezer, for a quick meal when we are short on time. Also, there was low-fat ricotta for just $2.99/kg (obviously short dated!), that just wouldn't fit into my meal plan, so alas, I had to leave it behind.

There were some canned soup on special too for $2 per can. Not fabulous value - I'm sure I can make something much tastier for a better price per serve, however they're a great standby on a busy day for lunch for anywhere from 1.5-3 points per serve for the lower fat ones, which I'll often have with simple cheese and vegemite toast. Much better than a higher point alternative I think I'd end up with otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. I love a bargain too! Our cupboards were almost empty until I did our monthly shop (online) on the week end. Now I have cupboards bursting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it when I can find food bargains. Feeding my family takes lots of effort and bargains on veggies and fruit really help. I love to shop online and find it saves me so much time. Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat,

    Been awhile since you've posted. Hope you're okay. Chantel (I had creativehands blog but have closed it now if you remember me.. )

    ReplyDelete