Thursday, January 21, 2010

Little rant - Seasonal F&V

Just have to have a little rant! I often use a seasonal F&V guide to plan my grocery shop, in order to try and keep our costs down. The idea being, that if that fruit or vegetable is in season, they're at their peak, and therefore an abundance of them (in theory). However the growing season has been particularly bad, so I'm told!

All of these items are supposedly in season, and yet I think we're being charged at least double what we should be:

- bananas - $1.99/kg
- grapes - $5.99/kg
- rockmelons - $2.99 each
- tomatoes - $3.99/kg
- capsicums - $7.99/kg
- leb cucumber - $3.99/kg
- lettuce - $2.99 each
- mushrooms - $9.99/kg
- zucchini - $3.99/kg

Now, tell me I'm shopping in the wrong place, but I checked FOUR different stores, and these were the best prices! You have to be kidding me!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that must be the local farms to you or is this through woollies or a supermarket chain?

    Bananas have only just gone down here TO $1.99 - they were $4+ a kg a month ago.

    I'm expecting Grapes will go down next month - that's the end of harvest and they go for about $2 a kilo then.

    I'm not buying tomatoes, but that seems high? Wish you lived closer, I'd give you some, I'm trying in vain to use/preserve mine so they're not all wasted!

    That lettuce (I've just finished mine) is very high too. I picked mine up on the weekend (farmgate) for .99c each.

    I wouldn't be impressed with those prices either. Do you have farmers' markets up there? Do you want to put my feelers out for you? They are MUCH cheaper as a rule and last longer, it might even be worth 30-40 mins in the car for the savings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about growing some of your own veggies? It might help you offset some of the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried our local farmers markets - they are only once a month and 25 minutes away, but the prices are much the same as the shops (if not more expensive).

    Terribly frustrating!

    I've tried keeping herbs, but can't even keep those alive, don't fancy trying to keep anything else alive, and we honestly don't have that much space!

    ReplyDelete